Day 59: The Universe is Telling Me Something

“Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying,
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.”

- Robert Herrick

Today, my Panorama de Literatura professor recited this to emphasize the concept of carpe diem, while introducing the renaissance. The way she recited it was absolute awe-inspiring. I think one thing that came and went today was my motivation. After hearing this quote in class, I was really pumped and was ready for anything coming my way.

There’s actually great meaning [or at least I think so] that this quote was brought up today because on my way to la FUC and waiting for the crosswalk to turn green, I saw a pigeon just walking around one of the cars, and without a second’s notice, it was run over. It put life into a perspective. Our lives can end just like that, without a moment’s notice, and the things we’ve done, the things we’ve said, everything stays at that. There’s no chance to apologize, to change what could’ve been.

It’s a pit full of regret just waiting to be fallen into.

Carpe diem. Live each moment as if it’s the last, because realmente, it’s so easy to die. Just living through a day is an accomplishment, and it’s something that we take for granted, something that we simply don’t appreciate enough. It means that you were able overcome what today brought you, and you’re ready for the next challenges.

Some days when I’m here, I feel so defeated, I wish for tomorrow to never come. But, what good does that do for me? Time will still move; the sun will still rise; and it will be tomorrow again, today. Life is so precious and yet I haven’t taken it seriously. Seeing something die in front of me so flawlessly definitely set things into motion for me.

Yet, I’m still seemingly defeated but things I shouldn’t be – I can somehow find a parallel between SA and the first semester at SUA [actually it’s almost uncanny how similar the two are]. There are moments I feel content being here and there are other moments when I just want to break loose and run away.

And then, things like past thoughts [como Herrick’s poem] bring it back to reason. “Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying, And this same flower that smiles today, Tomorrow will be dying.” Each day is a memory waiting to be created. Each moment that we spend may not last till tomorrow, but surely those memories will keep them alive.

Oh, how I miss romanticism.

No comments: